It was maybe less than a minute after Nate and Kelli left that the doorbell rang. I saw a UPS truck out front, and in what proved to be a significant moment, I picked up Max and walked downstairs to the front.
It doesn’t take long to realize we’re locked out, the truck driver is gone, my cell phone is inside, and so are my shoes. Max is in his diapers. We go to the back to try to catch Nate and Kelli but no dice. We walk to the front, because what else are we going to do.
The next person who walks by is a girl with her dog. I ask if I can borrow her phone, and we try my mom but don’t get an answer. We all sit on the sidewalk for a minute or two before the girl, Megan, takes pity on us shoe-less and pants-less beings. She offers for us to come to her place down the street while we figure something out.
The rest of our night is spent there, Max’s bedtime coming and going like a dump truck in the night. He eats cheese and crackers and drinks mango juice. He puts a hula-hoop on the rug and dances inside it. He makes scary faces in the mirror.
Afterwards we realize: What if I hadn’t picked up Max when heading to the front door? We also realize: Fiver watched us get locked out and then he ate my sandwich off of the counter.
No comments:
Post a Comment