22 October 2009

(from uncle fred)

Babysitting Max tonight, I had another chance to witness just how far up the ladder of thought and language he's come. Music was on quietly in the living room, as I read him a book, and the plan was to move into his bedroom after that for more reading before sleep. Just before we were about to get up, he said, "Freddy, do you like this music?"

"Yeah," I said.

"Me too."

It was Yo La Tengo! That's very advanced for someone his age, I must say. The song was "Black Flowers," which Max would recommend downloading, if you haven't heard it. He prefers their early work, I'm pretty sure, but is interested to see where their work takes them.

On the other hand, if he was just stalling, he knew exactly how to pull that off — which is also impressive.

No comments: